There are some excellent butter chicken recipes for the Thermomix out there, so I couldn’t help but wonder, when working on this one: “Is there room for another one?” The answer is YES, definitely! This hearty, mildly spiced murgh makhani is an absolute winner and will please the whole family. Curries made from scratch are tastier, healthier and far cheaper than any takeaway meal. Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients, they are mostly pantry staples when you make your own curries; and once you start, you will never go back.
- For the marinade, place garlic clove and ginger in mixing bowl and mince 3 seconds/speed 7. Add remaining marinade ingredients except chicken then mix 15 seconds/speed 4. Add chicken meat and combine to coat 8 seconds/Reverse/speed 3. Scrape out meat and marinade into a bowl, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, ideally overnight. Clean mixing bowl.
- For sauce, place almonds in a clean and dry bowl and mill 10 seconds/speed 9. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Without washing the bowl, mince garlic, ginger and chilli 3 seconds/speed 7. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula, add cumin seeds and onion and chop 3 seconds/speed 5.
- Add the butter and oil and cook 4 minutes/Varoma/speed 1 with simmering basket in place of measuring cup. Add cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and star anise and cook 2 minutes/Varoma/speed 1 with simmering basket in place of measuring cup.
- Add reserved almond meal, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, coconut milk and cook 5 minutes/100 degrees/speed 1 with simmering basket in place of measuring cup.
- Insert butterfly whisk. Add marinated chicken and cook 20 minutes/100 degrees/Reverse/Butterfly/speed soft with the simmering basket in place of the measuring cup. Remove butterfly whisk.
- Serve chicken with steamed basmati rice and/or warm roti bread, garnished with fresh coriander and almond flakes, if using’ to garnish instruction.